2022-23 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 13, 2024  
2022-23 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Information

The University of Tennessee at Martin is a primary campus of The University of Tennessee system. As such, UT Martin reflects the solid traditions of excellence that have earned the UT system its outstanding reputation.


The University of Tennessee at Martin educates and engages responsible citizens to lead and serve in a diverse world.


UT Martin values:

Academic Program Excellence

UT Martin embraces the critical role faculty play in developing and delivering an academically challenging curriculum, advising and mentoring students and participating in scholarly activities.

Student Experience and Success

UT Martin is committed to providing a learning environment that encourages degree completion as well as the personal and professional development of our students.


UT Martin is committed to creating a culture of belonging and a safe environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors to the campus.

Advocacy and Service

UT Martin serves as an educational and cultural leader in West Tennessee, and we strive to partner with educational institutions, community leaders, government entities, business and industry to enhance the quality of life in the region.


Higher education began on The University of Tennessee at Martin campus as Hall-Moody Institute, which was established by the Baptists of Martin in 1900. The property was acquired by The University of Tennessee in 1927 and UT Junior College was established. UT Junior College became a senior college in 1951. Named “The University of Tennessee Martin Branch,” it offered bachelor’s degree programs in agriculture and home economics. In 1967, the institution officially became The University of Tennessee at Martin and since that time has grown to offer more than 100 different program areas involving undergraduate and graduate levels of study.


UT Martin is situated in Northwest Tennessee, about 125 miles northeast of Memphis and 150 miles north­west of Nashville and within 50 miles of many popular recreation areas. Tennessee’s only natural lake, scenic Reelfoot Lake, offers opportunities for fishing, hiking and other nature experiences. Kentucky Lake on the Tennessee River, and its Land Between the Lakes National Recreation area, offer opportunities for camp­ing, fishing, hiking and water sports. Natchez Trace State Park, Shiloh National Cemetery and Ft. Donelson National Monument are also within easy driving distance.


UT Martin features 48 academic and support buildings, a spacious 320-acre main campus, and 680 acres of agricultural land that serve as a research and demonstration operation. University facilities support UT Martin’s excellent faculty, Honors Programs, Center for International Education, Student Success Center, OVC Athletics and Campus Recreation program. Beyond the main campus, UT Martin extends its educational reach through five centers located in Jackson, Parsons, Selmer, Somerville and Ripley.

Academic Programs

UT Martin offers 18 baccalaureate degree programs in more than 100 specialized fields. Master’s degrees are offered in business administration, educational leadership, counseling, teacher education, agriculture and natural resources, family and consumer sciences, and strategic communication.

National Accreditations

The University of Tennessee at Martin is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Questions about the accreditation of The University of Tennessee at Martin may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).

The University of Tennessee at Martin places great importance on achieving accreditation for eligible aca­demic programs from their appropriate governing bodies. These programs are recognized as maintaining high standards that qualify graduates for the best job opportunities. UT Martin holds accreditation from the following agencies:

  • the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, telephone 404-975-5000; BS Nursing)
  • the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, (120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606-6995, telephone 800-877-1600 ext. 5400; BS didactic program in dietetics; MS dietetic internship)
  • the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology-Engineering Accreditation Commission (http://www.abet.org) B.S. in computer science and B.S. in engineering.
  • the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (1435 Jayhawk Boule­vard, Lawrence, KS 66045-7575, telephone 785-864-3973; BS and BA, Communications major)
  • the American Chemical Society (1155 Sixteenth Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036, telephone 202-872-4589; BS Chemistry)
  • the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, AACSB International (777 South Harbour Island Boulevard, Suite 750, Tampa, FL 33602-5730, telephone 813-769-6500; BSBA, majors in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, MBA)
  • the Council for Accreditation of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (400 North Columbus Street, Suite 202, Alexandria, VA 22314, telephone 703-706-4600; BS Family and Con­sumer Sciences)
  • the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (1140 19th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, telephone 202-223-0077; BS, teacher licensure; MS, initial licensure, school counseling, and educational leadership).
  • the Council on Social Work Education (1701 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, telephone 703-683-8080; BS Social Work)
  • the National Association of Schools of Music (11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248, telephone 703-437-0700; BM, BAM)
  • the American Veterinary Medical Association Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activi­ties (www.avma.org; Veterinary Health Technology Program)

The Paul Meek Library

In a world that’s information rich, the Paul Meek Library (PML) provides resources, services, and expertise to make your time at UTM personally enjoyable and academically fulfilling. PML is a Library Without Walls providing access by chat, telephone, on-site, or online anytime…day, night, or weekends.

The Library is:

A Gateway to a World of Information and Knowledge

Library resources include a full complement of materials in a variety of formats including print, non-print, electronic, and online materials. Databases supporting study and research in subject disciplines represent over 25,000 scholarly journals and information sources. The library’s website (www.utm.edu/library) provides easy access for faculty and students (both on and off campus) to connect to electronic books, search full-text databases, renew checked-out items, or request materials from other libraries.

PML is a selective government documents depository and a Tennessee State Data Center affiliate featuring an extensive collection of both print and electronic materials from the state and federal governments.

The West Tennessee Heritage Study Center Library, located adjacent to the Alliene and Jimmie Corbitt Special Collections area, features Tennessee regional history and genealogical resources and serves as a local and regional historical community asset. Other unique library collections within Special Collections include the Holland McCombs collection (journalistic investigation of the John F. Kennedy assassination), Wintfred L. Smith Reelfoot Lake collection (ecological/biological materials), papers of Congressman Ed Jones and John Tanner, as well as the legislative papers of Governor Ned Ray McWherter.

An Intellectual Community Gathering Place

The Meek Library offers many opportunities for members of the UTM community to meet, greet, and work with each other in both formal and informal settings. Traditional study areas are located throughout the building including a variety of group and individual study areas. A leisure reading area features a fireplace and is located adjacent to a coffee bar. Comfortable furniture is mixed with study carrels and tables providing both quiet nooks and more public communal spaces where students, faculty, and staff can pursue scholarly research, write, study, or just catch up on the day’s activities with friends or colleagues.

An Active Partner in the Teaching-Learning Process

You’ll find librarians partnering with faculty members in the classroom, providing resources and expertise in support of instructional activities, working one-on-one with information seekers, serving collaboratively as research coaches, and assisting faculty and staff with publications and research projects. Paul Meek library faculty continues to explore dynamic instructional roles which are student centric and actively supporting those who teach and those who learn.

A Learning Laboratory

The Library supports and hosts a variety of teaching/learning venues which offer a wide selection of educa­tional opportunities. The Steven E. Rogers Media Center houses non-print media materials, K-12 teaching aids, and educational/classroom supplies. The Center offers two fully equipped media classrooms as well as individual multi-media workstations for students who wish to produce, view or listen to material either individually or in groups. The J. Houston Gordon Museum, located within Special Collections’ Reading Room, provides UT Martin and the community with diverse and interesting programs and events. It serves as an exhibit venue for local and traveling exhibits of fine art, history and culture, the sciences and natural history and features. The Library also includes on-site replicas on Congressman Ed Jones’ and Governor Ned Ray McWherter’s political offices.

Throughout the facility, computer labs and individual computer workstations provide opportunities to con­nect to the world or work on individual projects and activities. Public scanners and other resources are also available for use by library patrons.

The Paul Meek Library will keep you connected to a world of knowledge and actively assist in your academic success.

Information Technology Services

The Office of Information Technology Services provides high-quality information technology and communica­tions resources and services through shared resources, common infrastructure and common functions in support of the administrative and academic activities of UT Martin. The services provided by Information Technology Services are in place to provide a flexible infrastructure to meet the rapidly changing needs for instruction, all types of learning, research and administrative functions.

• UT Martin’s current recommended student computer configuration is available on the Web site at http://www.utm.edu/departments/help/recommended.php.

Online Services Available 24 Hours from Anywhere, Anytime

  • Use the myUTMartin portal for easy access to online resources.
  • Banner Self-Service is the online resource used to:
    • Register for classes, check grades, pay fees, view your unofficial transcript, or order textbooks online
    • Apply, view, accept Financial Aid, and apply for book loans and computer loans if you have excess Financial Aid
    • Put money on your Skyhawk Card, apply for electronic refunds, or set up tuition payments
    • See how changing majors impacts your degree requirements on DegreeWorks

Residence Halls

  • High speed internet access and low cost long distance and voice mail services
  • Bring your TV with a QAM digital tuner or a QAM digital converter box to view our 72 channel cable TV lineup which includes 4 premium movie channels and many channels in HD
  • Wired and wireless network in all campus housing


  • Sign up through the Banner Self-Service to receive a TXT message for emergency notifications
  • Anti-virus software required
  • Network authentication required for the wired and wireless networks.


  • Canvas, the campus online course management system, provides an online interface between faculty and students for specific course assignments, documents, and activities
  • One fourth of the classroom technology is replaced each year
  • All classrooms are equipped with multi-media learning systems
  • One fourth of the faculty members receive new computers each year

State of the Art Technology

  • Office 2016 and Windows 10 on lab and faculty computers
  • One fourth of the computers in all labs are replaced each year
  • Google Apps for Education accounts for all students with web access, e-mail, calendars, task
  • management, collaboration and much more
  • Microsoft Office 365 (for Mac and PC) available FREE for students!
  • File storage space on Google Drive and Microsoft One Drive
  • 24-hour access to select labs
  • Wireless notebooks available for checkout in the Paul Meek Library
  • Color printers and scanners
  • Multi-media stations available in the Paul Meek Library to produce all types of digital media for assignments and portfolios
  • Interactive Video Network with 5 classrooms on the Martin campus and connections to classrooms in Camden, Gleason, Jackson, Lake County, Memphis, Parsons, Ripley, Selmer, and Somerville for teaching courses through the video network


  • 2.75 gigabit/second connection to the Internet
  • Wireless 802.11 b/g/n access in all campus buildings

Distance Learning Classrooms

  • The Office of Information Technology Services is responsible for the technical aspects of the UTM Distance Learning Facilities. There are two classrooms in Gooch Hall, one in the Humanities Building, one in the Business and Public Affairs Building, two at the Somerville center, three at the Selmer center, three at the Parsons center, three at the Ripley center, and one at the Jackson center. These facilities are run by the Office of Educational Outreach. This allows the UTM community to use real-time, compressed video teleconferencing as a part of classes and for academic or administrative meetings.


Technology Helpdesk

  • Located in 247 Paul Meek Library
  • Walk-in assistance during Paul Meek Library hours
  • Submit a Request online: http://www.utm.edu/helpdesk

Helpdesk hours

Monday-Thursday.: 7 am - 9 pm

Friday: 7 am - 6 pm

Saturday: 12 pm - 5 pm

Sunday: 12 pm - 9 pm

Call 731.881.7900

Helpdesk Services

  • Password resets
  • Troubleshooting login problems
  • Email Assistance
  • Virus and Spyware Removal
  • UT Martin Software Installation Assistance
  • Troubleshooting computer hardware issues
  • Connecting Phone/Computer/Tablet to the wifi
  • VPN access

The UT Martin Computer Store

Students can take advantage of UT volume discounts on hardware, software and accessories through the Computer Store, located in the Boling University Center. Information Technology Services also services the computers that are sold through the Computer Store.

Skyhawk Printing and Mail Services

A complete host of mail services are provided. In addition, assistance with design, printing, binding, laminat­ing and much more is provided. Skyhawk Printing and Mail Services is located in the basement of Clement Hall.

Services for Students

The Division of Student Affairs is responsive to the needs of all students. As the primary advocate for students, the staff commits to facilitating opportunities for growth and development in civility and humanity. The division embraces traditions as well as creates opportunities for new programs and services. Collectively, the offices ensure that students experience a vibrant, living/learning campus community.

The division consists of eight functional areas that include:

  • university center
  • campus recreation and intramural sports
  • dining services
  • housing and residential life
  • student conduct
  • student health and counseling services
  • career planning and development
  • student life and multicultural affairs

Student life and Multicultural Affairs provides oversight for student clubs and organizations, Greek life, multicultural programming and student involvement. The staffs of each area are responsible for providing activities, support services, and educational programs that increase the students’ chances for success.

The Division of Academic Affairs coordinates programs and services related to academic advising and learning assistance. Professors who are assigned as advisers provide academic counseling. Besides the many kinds of assistance provided by academic departments and individual faculty and staff members, UT Martin offers coordinated learning support through the Student Success Center.

Services for Students with Disabilities

The University of Tennessee provides reasonable accommodations (academic adjustments and auxiliary aids) to ensure equal access to educational content and university programs for students with disabilities. For more information, contact the Disability Services office in the 206 Clement Hall, 731-881-7195.


Housed in the Boling University Center, the University Bookstore provides a convenient place for the purchase of books, emblematic apparel, and gifts and other supplies students might need. There are several options for textbooks: new, used, rental, and digital. The store is modern and completely self-service.

Students can sell used textbooks back to the bookstore. For specific repurchase guidelines, contact the bookstore.

Hours of service are from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 9 a.m. to noon on Satur­days (not open on Saturdays during the summer).

Campus Recreation

The Office of Campus Recreation provides program opportunities for the entire university community to maintain a healthier lifestyle. The program’s mission is to enhance student learning through participa­tion in a variety of recreational and leisure activities and programs. Our primary goals include: providing participation in a variety of activities; helping individuals develop and maintain a positive self-image; aiding in recruitment and retention of students, faculty and staff; coordinating use of recreational facilities with various administrative units; providing extracurricular education opportunities that promote leadership positions and contributing positively to institutional relations through high-quality recreational sports programming.

The Student Recreation Center, located near the fitness trail, offers an attractive environment for students to congregate, exercise and play sports while simultaneously providing a wonderful sense of community.

Recreational and Leisure Opportunities include:

  • intramural sports
  • informal recreation
  • fitness
  • aquatics
  • special events
  • outdoor and indoor recreation
  • sports clubs
  • parlor games

For details go to http://www.utm.edu/departments/campusrec/index.php or contact the Office of Campus Recreation at 731-881-7745.

Student Employment Services

The Student Employment Program is an opportunity for students to find part-time and temporary on- and off-campus employment while enrolled at UT Martin. Students are allowed to participate free of charge and regardless of their financial needs.

The office is located in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. For additional information, call 731-881-7657. A current listing of available on-campus positions can be found here: http://www.utm.edu/departments/personnel/employment.php

Student Health and Counseling Services

Student Health and Counseling Services is committed to delivering professional mental and physical health services to a diverse student body. We encourage you to view your health holistically rather than separating your mental health from your physical health. Our mission is to assist students in achieving and maintaining wellness by providing medical and counseling services that address the unique needs of college students. We encourage students to take responsibility for their health and to become active participants in the process.

The office is located behind Cooper Hall and has a staff of licensed master social workers, nurses, and certi­fied family nurse practitioners with an M.D. consultant. SHCS is open Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is closed during all university administrative closings. The family nurse practitioners and counsel­ors are available by appointment. Daily walk-in time for counseling is also available.

To be eligible for services, one must be enrolled in classes during that semester. Health-related services include general outpatient care for acute illnesses, first aid, wound care, limited lab and diagnostic services, well women exams, contraception counseling and management, STD and HIV testing, and allergy shot admin­istration. Some prescription medications can also be dispensed. Counseling related services include personal counseling, couples counseling, crisis intervention, and substance abuse support services. Students typically seek help for relationship problems, academic concerns, stress and time management, or mood issues such as anxiety or depression.

There are no charges for a health office visit or counseling session; however, minimal fees are charged for prescription medications and lab tests. All well women care, contraception services and STD screenings and treatment are free of charge. West Tennessee Healthcare Volunteer Hospital is located near the university and is available for medical and surgical services and emergencies, but the student must pay his/her own hospital expenses.

Students are encouraged to carry health insurance to cover illnesses and accidents that may occur while they are enrolled. Information about insurance coverage available to students at low costs can be obtained at Student Health and Counseling Services.

For additional information, call 731-881-7750.

Margaret N. Perry Children’s Center

The Margaret N. Perry Children’s Center provides quality care for children of UT Martin students, faculty and staff and community members. Student-parents are given first priority and children with special needs are included at the center. The state-of-the-art facility is licensed and provides part-day and full-day care for children six weeks to 12 years of age.

The children’s center also serves as a lab setting for students in many of UT Martin’s academic departments, including family and consumer sciences and educational studies. Students observe children’s behavior and gain practical experience in the planning and implementation of activities. Professional staff supervise these students as they plan developmentally appropriate activities and curricula. The academic components are supervised by the director in cooperation with other UT Martin faculty. The children’s center is administered through the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences. Information about fees and services may be obtained by calling the director, 731-881-7715.

University Center

The Boling University Center is the student service and activity center for the campus community. These ser­vices Computer Store, gameroom, automated teller machines, Sodexo Dining Services, University Bookstore, Student Government Association, Black Student Association, Welcome Center, and Student Life Offices (Greek Life, Student Organizations, Student Government, Student Activities, and University Center reservations/admin­istration).

The Boling University Center also has multipurpose meeting facilities that can accommodate meetings of groups from six to 600. Special meeting spaces include a 500-seat auditorium/theater, 70-seat tiered “class­room,” and a ballroom. All spaces feature access to wireless data service. Catering is available from Sodexo Services (the university’s food service provider).

The Boling University Center is located in the center of campus in close proximity to the residential and academic areas of campus and is available for use by students and the campus community.

For more information or to inquire about use of facilities, call 731-881-7755.

Student Success Center (SSC)

UT Martin coordinates its learning support activities through the Student Success Center, centrally located in Clement Hall. The SSC offers assistance in the areas of success counseling, supplemental instruction, tutoring, and study skills classes. The full range of services may be viewed at http://www.utm.edu/success. Our staff is trained to work with all students who have a question, need guidance, or who might need help transitioning to college. Freshmen on the main campus will meet with their Success Counselor a minimum of two times per semester. The SSC offers a wide variety of services, including a walk-in STEM tutoring lab located in room 120 in the Library media center. To learn more, visit the Student Success Center in Clement Hall, or call 731-881-7744. Students may also find assistance online at http://www.utm.edu/success/ or by emailing success@utm.edu.

Testing Center

The Testing Services office offers a variety of exams for students, staff, and the greater community. These in­clude prior learning assessment such as CLEP (College-Level Examination Program), DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) exams, as well as the HiSET (high school equivalency exam), IT certification exams, and the ACT Residual. This office also administers the senior exit and most major field exams, which all UTM students must take in order to graduate. Students seeking to further their education beyond undergraduate level may also elect to take various graduate aptitude tests such as the GMAT, GRE, MCAT, PRAXIS, NCEES, and MAT through the Testing Services office. For more testing information, contact the testing office in 211 Clement Hall or call 731-881-7727.

Career Planning and Development

The Office of Career Planning and Development (CPAD) is committed to the career development of every UT Martin student. The CPAD team provides a wide range of individual and group services: career exploration and preparation workshops, outreach activities, career counseling/coaching, job and internship opportu­nities, professional clothes closet, industry-specific information, networking avenues and assistance with graduate or professional school. In addition, our counselors assist students with resume and cover letter development, mock interviews, and all aspects of the job search process. The full range of services may be viewed at http://www.utm.edu/careers.

Students who are undecided on a major, exploring options or considering changing their major can receive the tools for self-exploration and career paths from our career counselors. CPAD offers TypeFocus, a career assessment, at no cost for students trying to find the best major or career fit for their values, interests and personality. In addition, we also offer the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and Strong Interest Inventory assess­ments at a small fee for a more in-depth assessment of personality and interests including individual interpre­tation of results by qualified counselors. Students may schedule appointments with CPAD staff to talk about any phase of career exploration and development. Appointments can be made through Handshake, in person or by calling. To learn more about CPAD services, students may stop by our office at 210 Boling University Center from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Mon - Fri, or call 731-881-7712.

Student Life and Multicultural Affairs

The Office of Student Life and Multicultural Affairs offers a host of opportunities for students to become actively involved in the university community and to enrich their collegiate experience. The Office of Student Life and Multicultural Affairs (OSMLA)works to support more than 150 student organizations including pro­fessional organizations, honorary societies, service organizations, special-interest groups, and social Greek letter organizations (fraternities and sororities). OSMLA coordinates a number of special activities and events throughout the academic year in conjunction with various student organizations and university departments. In addition, the office works closely with the Office of Campus Recreation in support of the intramural sports, sports clubs, and outdoor recreation programs. Lastly, the OSMLA provides advisement for the Student Activi­ties Council and the Multicultural Affairs Council. These councils provide student activities (both social and educational) for the campus and produces in excess of 105 events annually for students.

For more information, call the Office of Student Life at 731-881-7755 or visit the Web site at www.utm.edu/departments/studentlife.

Opportunities at UT Martin

Academic Organizations - UT Martin has more than 50 student organizations that represent different academic disciplines or career paths. These organizations offer opportunities for students to interact with professionals in their given fields and with students with similar professional interests. Each year, several professional student organizations at UT Martin receive national recognition and honors.

Honorary Organizations - UT Martin hosts several honorary societies that recognize students for sig­nificant academic accomplishment and exceptional leadership ability. Phi Kappa Phi is the flagship honorary organization at UT Martin.

Multicultural Affairs Council (MAC) - The Multicultural Affairs Council is charged with providing diversi­fied programming for the campus community. The committee is comprised of an executive chair, a represen­tative from BSA, LHSA, as well as chairs representing LGBTQ+, international students, graphics, education, and SGA Multicultural Affairs. Participation is encouraged and open to all students.

Service Organizations - UT Martin is home to several service-oriented organizations. During the academic year, these organizations engage in community service and philanthropic projects that contribute to the qual­ity of life throughout Northwest Tennessee.

Special-Interest Organizations - Ranging from the Young Republicans Club to the Skyhawk Veteran As­sociation, UT Martin hosts several student organizations that focus on the specific interests of the UT Martin community.

Student Activities Council (SAC) - The Student Activities Council is charged with providing student enter­tainment activities for the campus. Various committees include arts, news, and views; entertainment; film and video; game room; graphic design; and publicity. Participation on the various committees is encouraged and open to all students. The SAC produces in excess of 75 events during an academic year. For more informa­tion, see the Web at www.utm.edu/departments/sac/.

Student Government Association (SGA) - The Student Government Association provides opportunities for students to participate in the governance of the university. When a student enrolls at UT Martin, he/she be­comes eligible to participate in Student Government. Executive and Senate positions are elected on an annual basis. Representatives of the SGA, along with members of the faculty, serve on major campus committees. Visit www.utm.edu/departments/sga/ for information about SGA.

Fine and Performing Arts Opportunities

Accompanying offers opportunities for performance with vocal and instrumental soloists as well as with instrumental ensembles. One credit hour. Opportunity to accompany on a non-credit basis is also available.

Concert Jazz Band rehearses throughout the academic year and is open to all students by audition. A variety of jazz, rock, and popular music styles are performed for special events on and off campus, including concerts for area schools. One credit hour.

Dance Ensemble is an auditioned group that performs a variety of dance styles. Student productions in the spring semester provide opportunities for dancing, choreography, stage-managing, lighting, and designing sets and costumes for dance. Two credit hours.

Instrumental Ensembles include brass, woodwind and percussion ensembles and are open to all students by audition. These groups perform in chamber music concerts and for other occasions. One credit hour each.

Lyric Opera Theatre presents at least one staged production during the year, usually in the spring se­mester. These performances include works from the standard operatic repertoire, as well as contemporary operas. Scenes from operas are also presented. One credit hour.

Music Recitals - Faculty recitals are presented each year by the Department of Music. Junior and senior recitals are given by music majors, and students perform in weekly recitals on Wednesday afternoons. All recitals are open to the public.

New Pacer Singers is an auditioned chamber choir of students chosen for their singing ability. One credit hour. New Pacer Singers scholarships are available by audition.

Pep Band is organized to perform for basketball games and pep rallies. Scholarships are available by audi­tion.

Piano Ensemble is open to qualified students by audition. The group specializes in the performance offour-hand and eight-hand piano music. One credit hour.

Private Instruction in Music - Qualified students from all curricula may elect to take individual instruc­tion in applied music in the Department of Music for credit on a “space available” basis.

Aviators Athletic Band is organized fall semester and is open to university students who have a background in instrumental music. The band performs for football games, parades, and exhibition performances at area marching band contests. Band camp is held for one week prior to the start of classes in the fall semester. Aviators Athletic Band carries one credit hour. Scholarships are available.

University Singers is an auditioned choir of 40 to 50 voices that performs both sacred and secular music from all periods of history. The choir meets three times each week. One credit hour.

Vanguard Theatre presents two or three major theatrical productions and a series of one-act plays during the academic year. These provide the opportunity for students to participate in acting, stage-managing, and lighting, as well as designing and constructing stage sets and costumes. In addition, a series of original plays written by students in the playwriting classes is presented in the spring. These performances are directed by students from directing classes. Thus, students work together as playwrights, directors and actors toward the realization of a script.

Wind Ensemble and Concert Band are open to all students with instrumental music experience. These bands perform a variety of wind band repertoire during the spring semester. Band scholarships are available by audition. One credit hour each.

Automobile Regulations for Student Vehicles

Students who operate vehicles on campus are required to register their vehicles with the Office of Public Safety at registration time or within 24 hours of enrollment or acquiring a vehicle. Students are expected to operate their vehicles in compliance with the current Parking and Traffic Regulations that are available online at the UT Martin Public Safety Web site under parking. One (1) vehicle registration decal may be purchased at a fee of $85 per year and is to be displayed inside the front windshield on the front driver’s side. Vehicle registration decals are transferable and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Disabled students will be given special consideration upon recommendation of a physician. Contact the Traffic Office in Crisp Hall for assistance.

Cooperative Education Program

Cooperative Education is the integration of classroom theory with practical experience by means of alternat­ing specific periods of attendance at the university with specific periods of employment.

The following factors are used to adhere to this definition: (1) The student’s work should be related to his/her field of study and individual interests within the field. (2) The employment must be considered to be regular, continuing and an essential element in the educational process. (3) The working experience will ide­ally increase in difficulty and responsibility as the student progresses through the academic curriculum.

Any UT Martin instructional unit that develops an academic program, which permits students to rotate the semesters at the university and the periods of employment, may participate.

Academic Credit

Cooperative Education students enroll in (Academic Major) 201C-202C-203C-204C-205C-206C (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1) Cooperative Education Experience and receive one semester hour credit per work period. Academic quali­fications and career training positions, as available, are determined by the coordinator of Career Exploration or the academic adviser from the participating instructional unit who assigns a Pass (P) or Fail (F) grade for the courses. Normally, failing grades will not be given except in cases where students have been dismissed by their employers for unsatisfactory performance or students leave their jobs prior to completion of a work pe­riod without proper approval from their academic adviser or the coordinator of Career Exploration. In order to receive credit, students must submit a work report and employers are requested to submit an Employer’s Rating Form for each work period.

Students majoring in programs which require, or accept, internship credit for professional experience may elect to enroll in (Academic Major) 301C-302C (2-6, 2-6) Cooperative Education and Internship Experience and receive two to six semester hours credit per work period. To receive this experience, approval of the aca­demic adviser and the coordinator of Career Exploration is required. To enroll, students must have at least junior status. An academic adviser from the participating instructional unit is assigned to help coordinate the internship experience and assign letter grades. The students are required to maintain all work reports necessary to satisfy the cooperative education requirements plus any additional assignments.

No more than 12 total credit hours for the entire Cooperative Education Experience and/or Cooperative Education and Internship Experience may be earned. Internship credit hours count toward the requirements of the baccalaureate degree and are not additive. The specific instructional units under which the students partici­pate in the program determine the degree requirements for which the work experience substitutes.

Student Status

To be eligible for the Cooperative Education program, students must have completed the freshman year and have a 2.3 GPA.

Student fees are assessed according to the current per semester hour rate as shown under Financial Information.

Veteran Services

The University of Tennessee at Martin is fully approved by the State Approving Agency to provide training un­der the Vocational Rehabilitation and War Orphans’ Assistance programs, the Veterans Readjustment Benefits Act of 1966 and the Veterans Educational Assistance Program.

Educational benefits counseling service for veterans is available in the Office of Veterans Services in 125 Gooch Hall. All students planning to enter under provisions of a veterans’ educational program are urged to apply to the appropriate agency for necessary authorization well in advance of their registration date. Ten se­mester hours of credit will be given to students with a DD214 or DD295 that shows successful completion of basic training. Military schooling may not duplicate these 10 semester hours of credit. The ACE Guide is used in awarding credits for military schools. Official transcripts must be sent from the service person’s education office (AARTS or SMARTS transcripts are recommended) in order to receive military credit. All other residency requirements must be met. Up to 60 semester hours of military and/or examination credit may be applied toward degree requirements.

Service members, veterans and dependents of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of the term for which the deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments.

UT Martin will certify only those courses which are included in the major field of study selected by the student; certification of “elective courses” will be limited to the number of elective hours permitted in the designated major. Electives must be selected from the academic areas prescribed in the college catalog for each specified major.

The student receiving benefits must show evidence of making “satisfactory” progress toward his/her educa­tional objective, as defined in the university catalog. Class attendance will be a major factor in determining satisfactory academic progress.

Certification will not be allowed for any course(s) previously passed (D or above), unless the catalog states a C or above is required, or any course(s) designated as “incomplete.”


Any covered individual will be able to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website - eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

1.  The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.

2.  90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

UT Martin will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

For more information, call 731-881-1689

Intercollegiate Athletics

The UT Martin Intercollegiate Athletics program consists of 20 teams. The department sponsors the following sports: baseball, basketball, beach volleyball, cheerleading, cross country, dance, equestrian, football, golf, rifle, rodeo, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field and volleyball.

The UT Martin Skyhawks participate in Division I of the NCAA and are members of the Ohio Valley Confer­ence. The rodeo team competes in the Ozark Region of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association.

For more information, visit the official Web site for UT Martin Athletics, www.UTMSports.com.

Opportunities in ROTC

Cadet Professional Development Training (CPDT) - Annually, the Department of Military Science and Leadership coordinates training opportunities for cadets to attend Airborne, Air Assault or Mountain Warfare School. Given the difficulty and physical rigor associated with these Army schools, opportunities are limited to cadets who are physically fit and capable of executing all course tasks. Course graduates obtain a training diploma and are eligible to wear the associated skill badge on their uniform. For more information, refer to the ROTC Web site.

Cadet Troop Leadership Training (CTLT) - CTLT is an internship program which attaches individual cadets to an active Army unit for a period of three weeks. In addition to exposing cadets to the Army, they also become familiar with the duties and responsibilities of junior officers. Cadets must complete the Cadet Leader Course at Fort Knox, Kentucky as a prerequisite to this internship.

UT Martin Rangers - The Rangers are a highly trained, elite and motivated organization under the direction of advanced-course ROTC students and are supervised by the Department of Military Science and Leadership cadre. Membership in the Rangers is limited to students who are enrolled in military science and interested in developing skills associated with patrolling, mountaineering, survival training, weapons and similar activities. Members must meet medical standards required of contracted ROTC cadets and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

ROTC Color Guard - The Color Guard presents the national colors, state flag and university flag at intercol­legiate athletic, university and community events.

Opportunities to Work on Student Publications

The Office of Student Publications, located in the Department of Communications, 305 Gooch Hall, oversees the operations of UT Martin’s three primary student publications: The Pacer student newspaper, The Spirit magazine and BeanSwitch literary and visual arts magazine.

The Pacer is published in print form biweekly during the academic year and distributed free to the campus community. Subscriptions are not taken because The Pacer’s website, www.thepacer.net, also is available at no charge.

The Spirit currently is available online. Older copies of The Spirit may be obtained by contacting the Depart­ment of Communications, 305 Gooch Hall, 731-881-7546.

BeanSwitch is published online and in print annually. The magazine provides a selection of poetry, fiction, non-fiction, art and photography from the university community. Copies may be obtained by contacting any staff member or the Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages at 731-881-7300. Work also may be submitted to the Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages or to the publication’s editors.

To apply for paid staff positions on any of the publications, students should first contact the Office of Student Publications at 731-881-7558 or via email at tomimc@utm.edu and then be directed to the appropriate faculty adviser for each publication. The hiring process typically occurs in April or May annually.

Inclement Weather

Students, faculty and staff should check the university’s home page, e-mail, UT Martin social media, and the My UTMartin Portal for cancellations and schedule changes when inclement weather occurs. Area radio and television stations are also sources of information. UT Martin offices will be open unless announcements specifically say that all offices are closed. Students, faculty and staff should use their best judgment in deciding whether or not it is safe to travel to campus. Students should contact their instructors for more information on classes and class work. Please review the rest of this section for additional information.

Announcement Procedures:

  • A decision about main campus operations will be provided to the Chief Communications Officer or designee by 5:30 a.m.
  • Center directors will also contact the Chief Communications Officer or designee by 5:30 a.m. with the decision to remain open, close, or operate on an alternate schedule.
  • Updates will be made first to the news headlines on the university’s home page, to the My UTMartin Portal, and to official UT Martin social media. (Note: Power outages and/or technical issues can possibly delay these updates.)
  • Media contacts will then be made, starting with local radio stations.
  • Every effort will be made by the Office of University Relations to complete updates and media contacts by 6 a.m.
  • Notifications for evening classes will be made starting at approximately 4 p.m.
  • Text messages from the Department of Public Safety will only be sent to announce an unscheduled clos­ing. (Note: These notifications only address main campus operations.)
  • The automated message at 731-881-7000 will be updated, letting callers know of schedule changes at all locations.
  • Television stations (WBBJ, WPSD, KFVS-12) normally do not announce openings. If UT Martin is open on a regular schedule, no information will appear on the screen or on the stations’ websites.

If the main campus is officially closed, certain essential activities such as food services, physical plant, public safety, computer services, and telephone services will continue to operate. Some facilities, such as the Paul Meek Library, Student Recreation Center, and Boling University Center, will, if possible, continue to function as a service to students and faculty. When the university is officially closed, the Days of Administrative Closing Policy will apply for staff exempt and staff non-exempt employees.

In the event of inclement weather when the university remains open, all faculty, administrators and staff will be expected to make every reasonable effort to maintain their regular work schedules, but are advised to avoid undue risks in traveling. Employees who anticipate arriving late or not arriving at all should notify their immediate supervisors. Employees will have the option of charging their time off to annual leave or leave without pay.

Students will be responsible for any academic work that they miss due to absences caused by severe weather conditions. It is the individual student’s responsibility to take the initiative to make up any missed class work, and it is the instructor’s responsibility to provide a reasonable opportunity for students to complete assign­ments or examinations missed due to such absences.